Hope springs forth in the midst of ruins.

Last week my shooting assignment for my Photo 2 class was to shoot anything that might encompass Social/Urban issues. This could include (but certainly not limited to) graffiti, inner city ruins, church signage, bumper stickers, pretty much anything that we could take a picture of and argue our case that it addressed a social/urban issue. The great thing about a photography class in college is that you actually forget that the assignments are "homework".

Considering that I live just outside Memphis, Tennessee, I was confident I would find a wealth of suitable subjects. My new-found shutter buddy, Tricia, went along for the ride as we headed toward Midtown. We never got to the place I was intending on going because of the discoveries we made along the way, but that is perfectly okay, because our finds were nothing short of "another man's treasure" to us!

It wasn't until I read one of the photog blogs I frequent, Shutter Sisters, that I decided to add these photos to my Flickr account. The most recent post on Shutter Sisters struck a chord with me, and the results of my latest "photocation" most definitely went right along with it. Even in the midst of all the damage, filth, mold, destruction, and ruin, there were still signs that there is hope and beauty still to be found in this world.